Once again, I find myself coming to the surface for air only to find that another month has gone by without blog posts and very little communication with the outside world. Despite these facts, I have actually been really busy doing interesting and exciting stuff. Here is a glimpse into my August…
1. I have spent four days a week for the past six weeks working in a bakery without touching baked goods (except when there were leftovers!). Although my stint there has come to an end, I will always carry a soft spot for custom cakes. Also, during that time, I rode my bicycle to work 98% of the time and finally worked off my “welcome to America” pounds. I suppose the effects of working in a bakery were actually the opposite of what you would expect!
2. I have started a second job that I am beyond excited about. You might remember a list I made in April of 2009 in a blog post titled “Next” where my #3 goal was this…
I will work in an architecture office whose work and mission I admire. It will be a firm that I want to grow with and be an integral part of.
Well, this goal is currently being realized! My role is not exactly what I would have imagined back in April ’09, but in many ways, it is even better. I will be exposed to an aspect of architecture that I have not been exposed to before and I will have opportunities to work with nearly everyone in the office on a regular basis. Also, the work is only part time for now, so I should, in theory, have time to work on getting my architecture license. We’ll see how that goes!
3. We have made the most of our weekends. We met a great new-to-San Francisco couple that moved into the old Inn 1890 (my favorite B&B ever that has now closed). We went to the Outside Lands Music Festival. We took a drive all the way around the Bay from the GG Bridge to the Bay Bridge. We rode up into the Marin Headlands to the beach at Fort Cronkhite where we saw dolphins!!! We ate street food at the San Francisco Street Food Festival. We finally saw Inception, and both LOVED it.
4. My parents came to visit!!! This was the first time Nik and I have ever had visitors in an apartment that we share, so I bought way too much food and probably cleaned more than I had to. But it was worth it because once they were here, all we had to do was hang out and have fun. We took them to several of our favorite SF spots, and even watched “Rear Window” in Union Square!!
5. I invested $85 in a couple Pakistani Kilims that are now keeping our feet warm on these chilly, foggy, summer nights.
6. I found my wedding dress. It is simple, vintage and not really a wedding dress, but hopefully Nik will like me wearing it when he sees it next year. That’s all that matters!!
So yeah, things have been busy in the best way possible. I haven’t been compelled to take photos because I just haven’t. I don’t have any excuses other than I didn’t feel like it, and I am okay with that. That is the beauty of keeping this blog for myself…I get to do whatever I want!